Hair is one of the most defining characteristics of mammals, including humans. Hair is a protein filament that grows from follicles around the dermis, or skin. The human body, apart from areas of glabrous skin, is covered in follicles which produce thick terminal and fine vellus hair. Although hair growth such as beards and moustaches are admired, it is most notably heads of hair that people pay the most attention to. Whether your head of hair preference is short, medium or long, our love of hair stands strong. For those that prefer bald heads, bald is beautiful!
Attitudes towards different hair, such as hairstyles and hair removal, vary widely across different cultures and historical periods, but hair can be used or worn to indicate a person’s personal beliefs or social position, such as their age, sex or religion.
Although all hairstyles are fabulous, for this particular fashion post I am going to feature sleek, straight, silky hair. Whether you wear it from here to there.
Sleek, straight hair can be worn with all cuts, no matter the length. Whether you obtain the straight look using a blow dryer, a flat iron or a curling iron, there is no denying that sleek, straight hair with a glistening shine looks sexy, sensual, stylish, divine!
Hair Fun Fact: The word hair refers to two distinct structures: the hair follicle and the shaft. Hair fibers have a structure consisting of several layers, starting from the outside: the cuticle, cortex and medulla.
Sleek, straight, glamorous hair should be worn like a crown, whether you’re dressed in jeans, office attire or a gorgeous evening gown!
Preferred Ways to Get Polished, Sleek, Straight, Perfect Hair:
- Shampoo and condition your hair. If your hair is prone to frizzing, a frizz-reducing shampoo is helpful.
- Use a boar bristle hairbrush to avoid breakage.
- Towel dry your hair and allow your hair to air dry until damp. Blow drying and using a flat iron on soaking wet hair can damage the hair, along with your hair taking longer to dry and style.
- If you choose to obtain sleek, straight hair with only a blow dryer (this does work, I do it on my hair) hold the blow dryer at the top of your head and run your brush straight down from the scalp to the end of the hair. I don’t even let the blow dryer touch my hair, I merely blow the hot air close enough that the hair straightens and dries as I keep the blow dryer at the same position as the brush, the entire way down. Do this section by section.
- If using a flat iron or ceramic -plated iron, straighten sections of hair one at a time. Insert each section into the iron, clamp down and pull straight down, again going from the scalp to the ends of your hair. Careful, too much of this can burn and break your hair.
- Once you’ve straightened and styled your hair, add a touch of hairspray, smoothing cream and/or hair gloss for a perfect look and shine.
You have a fantastic head of hair – I wish your hair were mine!
Fashion straight talk – sleek, straight hair on the catwalk!
Whether you prefer a part down the middle, a part on either the left or right side, no part, bangs or no bangs, sleek, straight sexy hair highlights your face like no other hairstyle can.
Hair Fun Fact: Hair exists in a variety of textures. Three main aspects of hair texture are the curl pattern, volume and consistency. Being knowledgeable of your hair type is a good start to knowing how to properly take care of your hair. Please note, it is normal to have more than one kind of hair type, for instance having a mixture of wave and curls.
Andre Walker, hairstylist for Oprah Winfrey, came up with the Andre Walker hair typing system to classify hair types.
The Andre Walker Hair Types System:
- Type 1 Straight Hair: Reflects the most sheen and is also the most resilient hair of all hair types.
- Type 2 Wavy Hair: The texture and sheen range between straight and curly hair. Wavy hair is more likely to frizz than straight hair.
- Type 3 Curly Hair: The curl pattern may resemble a lowercase ‘s’, uppercase ‘S’, or an uppercase ‘Z’. This hair type is usually voluminous and climate prone.
- Type 4 Kinky Hair: Features a tightly coiled curl pattern that is often fragile with a high density.
Give me a head with hair. Beautiful, bouncy, bold, breathtaking hair!
Hair Fun Fact: All natural hair colors are the result of two types of hair pigments. Both of these pigments are melanin types, produced inside the hair follicle and packed into granules found in fibers. Eumelanin is the dominant pigment in brown hair and black hair, while pheomelanin is the dominant pigment in red hair. Blond hair is the result of having little pigmentation in the hair strand. Gray hair occurs when melanin production decreases or stops, while poliosis is hair, typically in spots, that never possessed melanin at all.
The root of the hair ends in an enlargement, the hair bulb, which is whiter in color and softer in texture than the shaft, and is lodged in a follicular involution of the epidermis called the hair follicle. Bulb of hair layers consist of fibrous connective tissue, glassy membrane, external root sheath, internal root sheath composed of epithelium stratum and granular stratum, cuticle, cortex and medulla of hair.
Who knew that each strand of hair was so magnificent and needed so much care? Hair maintenance involves so much more than merely deciding how to wear your hair!
Hair Fun Fact: While it is the hair follicle shape that determines curl patterns, it is the hair follicle size that determines the thickness. While the circumference of the hair follicle expands, so does the thickness of the hair follicle. As a result, a person’s hair volume can be thin, normal or thick. Hair consistency can be grouped into three categories: fine, medium and coarse.
Be happy and proud of your natural head of hair, whether fine, medium or coarse and let mother nature run her course.
Of course, changing up the styles and the length of your hair can bring mounds of fun, enjoyment and a change in looks, if you dare!
Do you sometimes feel like you want a new you? You can obtain a ‘new’ look simply by changing your hair do!
“I’ve noticed that you like to wear your hair in a variety of ways.”
“In a bun, long and straight, curly, wavy, voluminous, it depends on the day.”
“How do you decide what look you want to obtain?”
“I’ll change my hairstyle in the sun, the wind, the snow and the rain.”
“Do you have a favorite hairstyle that you enjoy wearing the best?”
“I love a ponytail, braids, swept up, but sleek and straight always passes the test.”
Long or short hair, anyway you want hair, when you go with a sleek, straight cut everyone will stop and stare.
Sleek, Straight Hair: Easy on the eyes; easy to wash and wear!
Nancy’s next book in her award winning murder mystery series, Deadly Decisions – A Natalie North Novel, available now in online and retail bookstores.
Nancy Mangano is an American fashion journalist, screenwriter and author of the Natalie North murder mystery book series, A Passion for Prying, Murder Can Be Messy and Deadly Decisions – A Natalie North Novel. Visit Nancy on her author website http://www.nancymangano.com, Twitter @https://twitter.com/nancymangano, her fashion magazine Strutting in Style! at http://www.struttinginstyle.com, and her Facebook fan page Nancy Mangano https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nancy-Mangano/362187023895846