How do you beat the two-piece bathing suit blues? You wear a red one!
All kidding aside, although a two-piece bathing suit can be one of the most fun garments to shop for, it can also be one of the most dreaded. With summer time upon us (yippee), and the lazy, hazy, hot beach and pool days ahead of us, there are ways for all body types to be able to rock a bikini well!
A bikini is a two-piece bathing suit. Bikini tops generally cover the breasts, revealing the stomach and back. The bikini bottoms leave a gap between the belly button and the hips, and cover the groin and buttocks. For the more daring individuals, the thong bikini reveals the buttocks, with just a thin strip of material fitting snuggly between the cheeks.
Even if you aren’t perfectly physically fit, there are ways to look great in a bikini!
How to Wear a Bikini Well:
- Choose a style of bikini that flatters your figure (ruffles on the bottoms could hide larger hips, more top support would help to lift sagging breasts, etc.).
- Make sure that your bikini is the right size, or buy a swimsuit that is one size larger than your normal clothing size. When bikini bottoms are tight, they can pinch your skin, causing thigh and hip pouches that look like body fat. You want sleek, smooth physique lines.
- Longer legs: Pick a bottom that is high cut and shows sides of your hips.
- Shorten the look of your body: Select a bikini where the top covers your midriff area.
- Posture: Make sure that you stand tall, with your shoulders back, your chest forward and your tummy tucked in when you are walking or standing.
- Accessorize: The right sunglasses, sandals, earrings, etc. will help to draw attention to your overall appearance as opposed to just your bikini clad body.
If you are bold and proud of your backside, you may want to show off your toned tush in a thong bikini. Fashion fabulous fannies!
“Beach baby, beach baby, there on the sand from July till the end of September…Surfin’ was fun, we’d be out in the sun everyday!” The First Class, England, United Kingdom.
Some women prefer to engage in water or sun activities with their breasts uncovered. This is described as “topless” or “topfreedom”. In various places around the world, nude beaches are set aside for people who choose to participate in beach and pool events in their buff nakedness.
As for true fashionistas, the appearance, style and cut of the bikini is just as important, maybe even more important, than what your body looks like when scantily covered by the barely there bikini. For the fashion fetish fashionistas where pretty and pleasing trumps practicality, sometimes you’d rather wear the bikini in the cold water, goose bumps and all, and be willing to freeze in the face of fashion! (I relate, I’ve been there)!
Bikini Tip: When swimming in frigidly cold water, you may prefer to wear a swimsuit with more material. A wet suit, perhaps?
For the more modest fashionista, high-waisted bikini bottoms are just as gorgeous as barely there bottoms, and sometimes even better looking!