Amy adjusted her bouffant hairdo, colored in her penciled, exaggerated lip line with watermelon lip gloss, and tried not to blink, as the glue meant to hold on her one-inch false eyelashes was instead causing her right eye to stick in a flirtatious mode. A Passion for Prying – Chapter 29.
If you have read my Natalie North novels, A Passion for Prying and Murder Can Be Messy, then you know that my stories take place in the Los Angeles/Hollywood area. With the Academy Awards coming up in February, which as we all know is magnitude glamour, I thought that I would share with you the steps that it takes to create the sensual, sultry, steaming eye visual known as smokey eyes.
I’m sure that you have all seen smokey eyes as the look has been worn by many celebrities and the gals of the Jersey Shore clan. Smokey eyes definitely radiate high form glamour, and the smokin’ hot appearance can be captured in just a few easy steps:
- Prep the Eyelid: Swipe an eyeshadow primer (base) across the upper and lower eye area and let it dry.
- Apply Eyeliner: Apply liner above the entire upper lash line, drawing the line thicker in the middle of the eye.
- Blend in Color on Bottom Lashes: The bottom color is one of the main elements of the smokey eye look. Run an eyeliner pencil under the entire bottom lashes and smudge the line with your finger. You can also apply some eyeshadow and smudge them together.
- Apply Base Color: The key to the smokey eye is pairing a lighter base with a darker hue. Sweep a light, glistening shadow over the eyelids to the browbone.
- Blend in Darker Color: Blend in the darker color starting at your lash line, blending up. Blend the color into the lash line so that the eyeliner disappears.
- Check your Work: Make certain that both eyes match and rub out any smears or smudges with a Qtip.
- Apply Globs of Mascara: Thick mascara is a must to finish off the smokey eye effect. Apply enough coats so that the lashes look long, thick and dark. False eyelashes can be worn if preferred.
Smokey eyes are smokin’ hot!
Tip: A nude or pale pink lip gloss wears well with smokey eyes. With such a dramatic eye, a dark, bold lipstick could be too much!
Generally, the smokey eye is done in darker shades, using blues, grays, silvers and blacks. However, this same method can be applied with any colors that you prefer!
Smokey eyes are alluring, hot, eye catching and sultry! They can also be playful and fun! So the next time that you go out to a fancy dinner, a party, dancing, or any place where you want to glam up, remember the smokey eye. You will double dazzle!
Or, if you’re a makeup/beauty connoisseur like me, you can wear the smokey eye at two o’clock in the afternoon on a trip to the car wash! After all, we all have to live a little!