Prince was a pop culture music icon. Tom Cruise dominated the box office. Bell bottom pants were the rage and big hair ruled. Wearing bright colored clothing of yellows, oranges, and greens made you a stand out fashion queen or king. Along with bands such as The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, and Pink Floyd, the 1980s rocked! MTV brought us music videos which were something the world had never seen. Remember Michael Jackson’s Thriller?
The 1980s were a decade of flamboyance and fun, and its fashion trends are making a major comeback this Fall. Great trends stand the test of time and never truly go away.
Popular 80s Trends that are Fashionable for Fall 2018:
• Bell Bottom Jeans: Both bell bottom and hip hugger jeans were all the rage in the 80s. Eric Clapton’s hit “Bell Bottom Blues” proves this to be true! Bell bottom and flared pants are back in fashion today, especially in low waisted pants. Let bell bottom jeans ring your bell.
• Short Shorts and Hot Pants: In the 80s, gals wore their shorts and their skirts extremely short. Hot pants and miniskirts set the stage for contemporary fashion. Today, think Daisy Dukes for short shorts and the adored miniskirt has never gone away! To really spice the look up and go full retro, wear your short shorts with fishnet or opaque stockings! Priceless!
• Big Hair: Big hair and bouffant hairdos ruled in the 80s. Guess what? Long, plush, coveted heads of hair are back in style. While short haircuts are cool and sassy, long, teased, big hair looks bold and brassy! This fall, large curled hair rules them all.
• Platform High Heeled Shoes: In the 80s, if you were decked out in bell bottom jeans, the only fitting shoe that would do your look true justice was the platform shoe. Whether the heel was thin and spiked or large and chunky, platform shoes were the bomb. Even Mick Jagger, Elton John, and Freddie Mercury performed live on stage in platform shoes. Step into Fall 2018 where once again the gorgeous platform high heeled shoe takes center stage.
• Bright Colored Clothing: Before the earth colors of blues, browns, and mauves took over in the 90s and early 2000s, bright colors of yellows, oranges, and greens defined the 80s color schemes. From clothing to furniture to houses, bright bold colors were in. Even yellow cars dominated the road. Welcome Fall 2018, where the fun colors of yellow, orange, and green are coming back in a big way. Top your bright colored clothing off with a straw or felt hat and turn heads from every which way.
- Patent Leather Boots: These beautiful patent leather boots were all the rage in the 1960s and 1970s, spilling over into the 1980s. Whether your choice is thigh high patent leather boots, knee high boots or ankle boots, it’s true that all boots are made for fashionable walking. Walk yourself into Fall 2018 with these fabulous, bold boots!
No matter what your favorite fashion decade might be, clothing and beauty trends may come and go, but what works best for you should always be your main choice. Treating yourself and going through each day in style with a smile on your face means you’ll always win the fashion race! Other popular trends of the 80s that you can bring back if you desire are feathered, layered haircuts, shoulder pads, Ray-Ban sunglasses, fringe suede purses, dark blue eyeshadow and pink frosted lipstick.
Return of the 1980s: 80s trends making a comeback this Fall 2018! Don’t wait to be a retro-1980s fashion plate!
Nancy Mangano is an American beauty/fashion/style influencer, fashion journalist, screenwriter and author of the Natalie North murder mystery book series. Visit Nancy on her global online fashion/style/beauty magazine Strutting in Style! at http://www.struttinginstyle.com, her Facebook page Nancy Mangano at https://www.facebook.com/nancymmangano/ Twitter @https://twitter.com/nancymangano and her author website http://www.nancymangano.com